Escape Clause

This post was inspired by Kellie Elmore’s Free Write Friday prompt.

On the search again for an escape clause

Ignoring my present state

But pondering not on the cause

Which once more brings me to that place

Enclosed inside my lonely cage

Where feral thoughts run wild

Yet standing still just before the rage

But the dust then settles and the wind is mild

I thank the breeze for coming through alongside a dark cloud

Covering emotions locked far away

Unable to stray from the silence because it is so loud

The bars of my cage suddenly become withered and begin to fray

Though not yet free, I imagine that I am

The sole leader of my own journey towards peace

Found on the opposite end of the home of the damned

But along comes salvation to right all of my wrongs

Set the captive free and completely restore

I now know that I shall carry on

My cage becomes a right mind entrapping me no more.

Advertisements

Aside

18 Comments (+add yours?)

1. ckisler
    Jul 07, 2013 @ 09:26:37

“Opposite end of the home of the damned” the words are chilling and thrilling at the same time.

2. Pink Woods
    Jul 07, 2013 @ 10:07:17

This is beautiful and inspiring. 🙂

3. xxkultuur
    Jul 07, 2013 @ 11:54:01

I loved “Enclosed in my lonely cage/While my feral thoughts run wild.” Captures the feeling so well.

4. pandamoniumcat
    Jul 07, 2013 @ 14:52:18

Thank goodness for those cool breezes that chase away dark clouds… nicely done!

5. buildingalifeofhope
    Jul 07, 2013 @ 16:43:48

This is terrific. I felt as if i was in that “cage” struggling along with you.

6. Kellie Elmore
    Jul 07, 2013 @ 21:51:02

This reminds me of Maya Angelou. The way you could feel her pain, yet in the midst of her sorrowful words, there was hope that was undeniable. Bravo, Charlene.

7. Mark
    Jul 08, 2013 @ 05:49:06

Very well done, glad I came back to read some of the later FWF posts that I missed earlier. Loved the hope this conveys!

• Charlene Woodley
      Jul 08, 2013 @ 08:37:30

Thank you Mark. I enjoyed your poem as well – ‘letting go of the suitcase of dreams’ expressed to me how freeing it is to allow our faith to help us accept, let go, and move on without fear!

8. Annie's Muse
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 02:56:28

Such an awesome read … searching, finding, letting go!

9. Christy Birmingham
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 23:02:04

You are the “sole leader” of your own journey – here, here, I like the strength you show in your words!